Grilling is undoubtedly one of the best ways to cook your favorite savory meals. For the carnivores, the meats are juicier, flavorful, and nutrient-rich. Grilling also ensures you consume less fat, which is a major perk as far as your health is concerned. Grilled veggies also retain more nutrients, and you get to save butter when cooking. But the biggest perk in grilling is perhaps the fact that it is an amazing social activity. This is because it is mainly done outdoors, making it a great way to bond with loved ones, friends, and family. Many people consider it a family tradition for the weekends and major events.
But needless to mention, not all kinds of meals qualify for the grill. For grill-friendly foods, the overall experience after serving will also depend on the ingredients, how you prepare the meal for grilling, and the method you use. Your grilling equipment will also have an impact on the final appearance, taste, and flavor. Are you wondering what to make on the grill for your next barbeque event or party? Well, worry not because you are looking at the right page. Starting with the essential equipment you need, here are a few simple and easy-prep recipes you can make on the grill.
Gather Your Gear and Equipment
Of course, a successful grilling experience doesn’t come without having the right arsenal for the job. Having the right gear and equipment makes barbequing fun and easy while guaranteeing the best results. To master and perfect your grilling skills, the number one thing you will need is a quality grill.
Remember, grills come in a wide range of shapes, styles, and sizes, not forgetting that the fuel types also vary. These include charcoal grills, wood pellet grills, electric, and gas/propane grills. Of all these, gas grills tend to be the most preferable option these days. This is because the best gas grills produce results close to what you can achieve using a charcoal grill, without having to deal with messes caused by smoke and ash. These include affordable options that you can get for under $1000. They are also portable, meaning you can enjoy your barbecue from whatever spot you desire in your backyard.
Apart from grills, you will also need several other tools and accessories. Some of these may include:
Several grill grates
Grill cleaner set
Having armed ourselves with the necessary grilling gear and equipment, let’s get those taste buds tickled, shall well?
1. Sticky Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
This dish is a finger-licking delight for anyone who loves chicken. It is tender, appealing, and delicious, with a fine balance of sweetness, salt, and tanginess. You can serve it with fresh or grilled veggies anytime any day. You just have to ensure you marinate longer, oil the grill grates, and turn the drumsticks often to avoid burning the chicken. Here’s how to make this savory gourmet treat.
Soy sauce (low-sodium) – 1/2 c.
Balsamic vinegar – 1/2 c.
Honey – 3 tbsp.
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 thin slices of green onions
Vegetable oil – 2 1/2 lb. (for the grill)
Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp. (for garnish)
1. Put balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, green onions, and garlic in a bowl and whisk together, setting aside a quarter-full cup of the marinade.
2. Place the chicken in a resealable plastic bag, add the remaining marinade, and keep it in a fridge overnight or at least 2 hours.
3. After marinating, turn on the grill to high heat. Bast each piece with the marinade you set aside, oiling the grates and the chicken drumsticks. Cook until charred for 25-30 minutes, turning every 3-5 minutes.
Serve garnished with sesame seeds.
2. Delicious Fish Tacos
It may not be the easiest to prepare on the list, but this fine dish will definitely massage your taste buds once done. You only have to get the ingredients together and follow the easy procedure.
Cod/flaky white fish)
Chili powder – 2 tsp.
Paprika – 1 tsp.
Ground cumin – ½ tbsp.
Cayenne pepper – ½ tbsp.
Vegetable oil – ½ tbsp.
Extra-virgin olive oil – 3 tbsp.
Black pepper – freshly ground
Corn tortillas- 8
Diced avocado – 1
Mayonnaise ¼ c.
Chopped cilantro fresh – 2tbsp
Honey – 1tbsp
Purple cabbage – 2c. Shredded
Corn kernels – 1 c.
1 minced jalapeño
1. Put paprika, lime juice, cumin, cayenne, olive oil, and chili powder in a medium shallow bowl and whisk generously into a fine mixture.
2. Toss cod in your mixture so that it is evenly coated, letting it marinate for 15 min.
3. As you wait, whisk mayonnaise, lime juice, honey, and cilantro in a large bowl, adding jalapeno, corn, and cabbage. Season it with pepper and salt.
4. Next, place a skillet over medium heat on the grill and add vegetable oil. Take your marinated cod, seasoning filets from both sides using salt and pepper. Put the fish on the skillet with the flesh side facing down, cooking each side until opaque for 3-5 mins.
5. Next, assemble your tacos. Serve the fish over grilled tortillas with avocado and corn slaw, topping with lime juice and garnishing with sour cream.
3. Steaks of Grilled Cabbage
For the vegs and lovers of cabbage out there, this is one fine treat you can try on your grill. Yes, you read it right; you can make “steaks” out of grilled cabbage. It can be a simple side dish or even the main course. Top with blue cheese, bacon, or pretty much any accompaniment you desire. Here is how to prepare this hearty meal.
Large cabbage head cut into 2 halves
Extra-virgin olive oil
Black pepper – freshly ground
Red pepper- crushed
For serving: cooked bacon chops, blue cheese, green onions chops, ranch dressing
1. Seasoning with salt and pepper, brush both sides of the cabbage steaks with oil and place them on the grill over medium-high heat. Let them cook for approximately 5 minutes per side until tender.
2. Serve topped with bacon and blue cheese, drizzled with some ranch dressing.
The list of foods you can grill in under 30 minutes is literally endless. With the right equipment and accessories, you don’t have to burn your fingers up to make a mouth-watering meal over the grill. Hopefully, you will find the above grill meal recipes inspiring to try out in your next BBQ event.