It is always a good idea to make sure that you’re able to get your car in order. You could break down, especially as winter is coming up, and it can mean that you are more likely to breakdown; would you know what to do if you did breakdown? What would you do if you were stuck with freezing temperatures? Which shows that there really are some important things to have in your car that can help you whenever you are driving. There are extra things like blankets that you might want to have in your car at colder times of the year, but at other times of the year you might need different things in your car, like extra bottles of water on a summer road trip. So it is important to assess your own needs and risks, and pack things accordingly.
- Jumper cables: if you have a dead battery, then it can stop you in your tracks and can really take you by surprise. So it isn’t a good idea to just rely on a passer-by that might be able to help you.
- Owner’s manual: it might be something that you have never looked at, but having the owner’s manual in the car is really important. So keep it in the car, just in case you need to find out the correct tire pressure, fuel, or other vital information.
- Important documents: there are plenty of documents that come with having a car; it is just part and parcel of being a car owner. But having some copies in your car is a really good idea. If you are in a car accident and don’t know the details of your auto insurance of the top of your head, then having a copy of it all is a really good idea. Your driver’s licence is another document to have in the car, though it could just be a photocopy if you need.
- First aid kit: if you are looking at taking a road trip, have children, or just want to be prepared, then it is such a good idea to have a first aid kit in the car. Whatever happens, you can fix yourself or someone else up with, and it can be great for emergencies. You’ll never know when you’ll need a first aid kit, so it is so important to have one so that you’re ready for anything.
- Flashlight or mini-lantern: If you have ever had to try and change a tire in the dark, then you will know how important having a torch or a lantern in the car is a good idea. One of the best things that you can get is a crank light, as that won’t need any batteries or power. But really, any torch or lantern is going to be handy in case of an emergency.
- Water bottles: having a few water bottles of water in the car can be so important for hydration, so it can be something that can literally save your life if you are stranded. It can also help from a safety point of view too, because you can clean your windscreen with it, clean a wound, or help to defrost your car.
Make sure you keep your items in a safe space, where they can be reached in an emergency. There are a variety of different incidents that can happen on the road, so anything of high value, or importance, like a mobile device that can be used to make a phone call in an emergency, should be kept close to you and made easy to reach. Many individuals are aware of what to do if they are in a car accident, but are not sure how to handle a hit and run accident. This is why the type of items, as well as their placement, is vital. Make sure you consider all scenarios when preparing your car.