We have taken some great steps forward over the years when it comes to reducing the number of car crashes in the country. However, there is still a lot more work that needs to be done!
One of the best ways to reduce the number of crashes is to understand why these incidents are happening in the first place, and why so many vehicles need urgent auto body shop work!
With that being said, below, we are going to take a look at five of the different reasons why car crashes happen. We hope that by shining light on these incidents we can help to put provisions in place that can lower more car accidents going forward.
- Speeding and reckless driving – There is only one place to begin, and this is with reckless driving and speeding. This is something that causes a lot of accidents. We have all been in the position whereby we have been driving along on the road and then a car comes past us at a crazy speed, whereby they would not possibly be able to see whether there was oncoming traffic. In the end, these situations inevitable cause crashes, and they end up being high speed, dangerous crashes, which can cost lives. The speed limits are put in place for a reason.
- Defects in the road – We know that there are a lot of locations that have big problems in terms of potholes and road defects. This is another reason why accidents happen. We know that councils and road organizations are spending money on road improvements, but more needs to be done in order to get the roads to the condition they should be in. Not only this, but if roadworks are ongoing and there is not enough signage or there is a defect at the temporary traffic lights, this can also result in accidents happening.
- Driving under the influence – Aside from the examples that we have discussed so far, driving under the influence is another major cause of car accidents. We have seen so many news stories about car crashes that have happened because one driver has been under the influence of alcohol or drugs. We all know we should not do it. Yet, sadly, there are a lot of people that still drink under the influence. If you are someone who tends to make silly decisions like this when you are drunk, put yourself in a position whereby it is not possible for you to do so, for example, give someone else your vehicle keys or get a taxi to an event so that your car is not there.
- Checking your phone while driving – There have also been many accidents that have been caused because of people checking their phones while they are in their vehicle. This is something that has become an even bigger problem considering the world seems to be a little bit mobile phone crazy these days! However, you should never use your phone while you are driving, as you need to concentrate on the road. You should make sure you have the hands-free option set up so that you can answer phone calls or use the voice to message facility if you do need to have your phone switched on and operating while you are on the road.
- Driving a vehicle that is not suitable for the road – Last but not least, we have also seen many car incidents that have happened due to people driving vehicles that are not roadworthy. It is your responsibility to make sure that the vehicle you drive is maintained and that it is safe to use. Unfortunately, some people do not do this, and their cars can end up malfunctioning while they are on the road, which can result in a serious car accident happening. Keep up your car’s maintenance schedule to ensure any issues are picked up on as soon as possible.
As you can see, there are a number of different reasons why there are still a lot of car crashes at the moment. From checking your phone while driving to driving a vehicle that is not in the right condition for the roads, all of these scenarios can result in major incidents happening on the road.
If we all make a dedicated effort to follow the rules that are in place and be more mindful when on the roads, we can go a long way to making sure that the number of car incidents that happen in the future continues to fall and fall.